top of page

Who was Mattie J

Mattias James Edwards, the son of two Paramedics, was a healthy 12-month-old little boy who passed away from a choking incident. On the morning of September 12, 2022, little Mattie J was eating dry cereal with his babysitter when he became choked. The babysitter was unable to relieve the obstruction and Mattie J stopped breathing. After heroic efforts by local EMS he was pronounced dead at Niswonger Children's Hospital later that morning. It is the hope of Mattie J's parents that through education and community outreach we can prevent as many of these early childhood deaths as possible.



The Mattie J CPR Foundation will bring lifesaving training and skills to the community, especially those who provide care for young children


In the US, choking is the leading cause of death among children 1 to 3 years of age, and the fourth leading cause of unintentional death overall. Those most at risk for choking are children 0 to 3 years of age and adults over the age of 60. It is the purpose of The Mattie J CPR Foundation to provide CPR, basic first aid, and childcare safety training at no cost for the community.

Upcoming Classes

Mattie J CPR is now taking online donations. All contributions to The Mattie J CPR Foundation are tax deductible. Use the link below to support out cause.

bottom of page